National President Candidate
Sir Wayne (Buck) Shelford (KNZM, MBE)
Served in the Royal New Zealand Navy 1975–86
- Basic Training then specialist course in Gunnery
- Served in the Far East (HMNZS Otago) - 1976
- Completed the Gunnery Fire Control Course and Seacat Missile Aimers Course HMAS Cerebus (Australia)
- Petty Officers Command Course - 1978/79
- Promoted to Temp Petty Officer - 1980
- Completed the Joint Service PTI Course (Level 2) Wigram - 1981
- Remainder of service at HMNZS Philomel PTI Training School
- Member of the Auckland RSA Executive - 2017 – 2021
- Actively involved in the RSA organisation for a number of years, member of Auckland RSA and Hibiscus Coast RSA.
- Actively involved in commemoration/ANZAC events in the Auckland District.
Honours and Awards Received
- Patron New Zealand Defence Force Rugby
- Patron New Zealand Navy Rugby
- Patron for the Passchendaele Society
- Patron of ‘Waimarie – Whatever It Takes Community Housing for Disabled
- Patron for Te Reo Tuatahi Education Programme
- Patron of the North Shore Rugby Football Club
- Ambassador for ‘Blue September’ Prostate Cancer Foundation
- Ambassador for The Life Keeper Suicide Prevention Programme. Le Va. Manukau
- Ambassador for Te Kiwi Maia – First Responders
Vision for RSA Going Forward
From my time in the Navy and playing for the All Blacks I have learned a great deal about high-performing teams. Critical to both the Navy and the All Blacks high performance was the application of leadership and empowerment of everyone in those organisations to achieve the mission. My strength is in leading high-performing teams to achieve success.
What I intend to bring to the RSA is leadership and will apply this to:
- Improving our governance from the current confused Forum and Board construct.
- Connect with all RSA in a comprehensive and collaborative manner so we can define the type of organisation we want to be in the future.
- Create thriving and vibrant RSAs that are linked to our communities and provide support to all their members.